Brewing Delight: A Delicious Green Tea Cake to Bake at Home
What is green tea cake?
Baking a green tea cake is a delicious departure from ordinary desserts. Infused with the nuanced flavors of green tea, this treat offers a visually stunning, subtly aromatic experience. Beyond its unique taste, it incorporates the health benefits of antioxidants and a calming essence, elevating its appeal. Crafting this confection isn't just about creating a delightful dessert; it's an exploration of diverse flavors and a nod to wellness. Embrace the joy of baking as you blend the earthy tones of matcha or steeped green tea with sweetness, inviting all to savor a slice of this innovative and health-conscious indulgence.
When did matcha green tea cake become popular?
Green tea cakes emerged in the culinary scene in the late 20th century, coinciding with the growing global fascination with green tea's health benefits. Initially popularized in Japan, where matcha, a finely ground green tea powder, had long been celebrated, this trend gradually spread worldwide. The cake's unique infusion of earthy green tea flavors into traditional baking captivated enthusiasts seeking innovative desserts. Its rising popularity stemmed from a desire for distinctive, flavorful treats aligned with health-conscious trends, establishing green tea cake as a sought-after indulgence appreciated for its harmonious blend of cultural tradition and modern culinary innovation.
Green tea dessert ingredients
- 2 Salada green tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Green tea cake recipe
- Steep the two Salada Green Tea tea bags in 1 cup of boiling water. Allow it to cool to room temperature before using. This will be your brewed green tea.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a cake pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the brewed green tea, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, you can dust the cake with powdered sugar or decorate it with a matcha glaze for extra flavor.
Did you make this recipe?
Make sure to mention @saladatea!